Rights and Resources for Students Experiencing Homelessness
Students Have the Right to:
- Immediate school enrollment – even if they lack proof of residency, guardianship, immunizations, or school records.
- School choice – students may choose to stay at the school attended when permanently housed or to enroll in the school where currently living for the remainder of the academic year.
- Free lunches – homeless students are automatically eligible to receive free lunch for the duration of the school year.
- School fee waivers – students have the right to equal access to education.
- Transportation – while students are actively homeless, transportation is provided for the students attending outside of their school’s attendance area.