The HHS Academies began during the 2014-2015 school year as an opportunity for students develop their collaboration, communication, and critical thinking skills to better prepare themselves for their desired career in health care or STEM.
The HHS Academies Provide:
- College preparatory courses; including, Advanced Placement, Dual Credit, and Youth Options college courses.
- Small and personalized learning communities
- Real-world connections between academics and career.
- Opportunities for job-shadowing, internships, field experiences, and other hands-on career experience.
- Mentorships with business and community.
- Opportunities for practicing soft skills like effective communication, critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration.
How Do Students Apply?
Important Dates 2017:
- January 24-27: Academy Lead to speak with freshman students during their Science 9 class.
- January 26, 6:30-7:30PM: Parent Information Meeting in the High School Auditorium.
- February 6-10: Application online and available for students to fill out during school hours (7:15AM – 3:00PM).
- February 13 – March 3: Student interviews.
- March 31: Students notified of acceptance.
Detailed information about the application process will be provided during the meetings with students and the Parent Information Meeting on January 26, 2017.
Students will be selected based on:
- Personal interests and identified information from the EXPLORE career aspiration data.
- A cross-representation of HHS student population.
- Student completion of application process.
What if I change my mind about the Academy?
Academies are designed to provide personalized learning. Students can enter, change an academy, he or she may enter yearly during the regular application time period. If a student would like to return to the traditional HHS curriculum, he or she will be allowed to exit at the end of the first semester or the end of the school year.