Welcome Parents and Students of Hudson Middle School,
Welcome to our middle school community and thank you for visiting our webpage. What a privilege it is to be the principal of Hudson Middle. I am so grateful to have the opportunity to serve the students, families, staff, and community of HMS. The great challenge for any school is to find a way to meet the needs of each student that walks through the doors each day. Our mission:
“Hudson Middle School learners understand, support, and challenge each other to be caring, capable and creative contributors.”
Children between the ages of 10 and 14 are unique in intellectual, social, emotional, and physical growth. Recognizing that these children are also strikingly different from each other, the middle school is designed to meet the needs of a child as well as an adolescent during the transition from the elementary to the high school.
Through a caring and secure environment, the middle school program ensures that all students experience challenge and success. The curriculum is based upon the developmental needs of the young adolescent, with the following goals:
- Mastering basic skills within an interdisciplinary context.
- Acquiring a fundamental body of knowledge and the critical thinking skills necessary for its interpretation and application.
- Developing and maintaining a positive self-image.
- Accepting increased social, personal and academic responsibilities. Exploring a diversity of curricular and extracurricular activities. Developing an increased awareness of individual differences and respect for others.
- Participating responsibly in the school community.
The key to the success of this program is a flexible and creative staff that enthusiastically chooses to work with students at this age level. Focusing our talents and believing that:
- The students are the focus of the school
- All students can learn if given the opportunity
- To achieve educational excellence there has to be a commitment by staff, students and parents.
- Each member of the school community is responsible for his or her performance.
- It is essential for success that staff, parents, and students work cooperatively.
- Continuous planning, evaluation, and change are necessary for improvement.
- Clearly articulated goals and open communication among groups (staff, parents, and students) are essential, experimentation and risk taking are encouraged.
- Caring for others and community service are integral parts of the school program.
- The adopted middle school philosophy has an effect on all school programs and decisions.
- The administration’s main role is to create an environment where teachers can teach, and students learn.
Here at Hudson Middle School, we believe in building relationships; staff to staff, staff to students, school to community and school to home. The role of the parent is vital to student success. We urge all parents to maintain a prominent and active role in the education of your child. Your middle school student still needs you! Please spend time daily talking with your children about their experiences at school and asking them what they have learned. Communicate with administration, counselors, and teachers often and visit the school and classroom pages regularly. Many exciting and valuable experiences awaits us this year. We look forward to an exciting and successful school year, and we are eager to work with you to ensure your child’s success. If you have any concerns, please contact us at 715-377-3820.
Jim Dalluhn, Principal, HMS Faculty and Staff 🙂