The Hudson Board of Education supports the community’s use of its facilities. The Board recognizes that school facilities are valuable community assets that support not only school programming but also civic life in the Hudson community. The Board encourages the use of facilities within the policies and procedures established by the District and Community Education/Services for safety, maintenance and supervision.
Steps to Using a School Facility:
- Contact Hudson Community Education/Services to obtain an Application for Use of District Facilities form or click here to print a Facility Use form.
- At a minimum, activities or events that are recreational or that involve more than 30 people, require additional liability insurance (other activities or groups may be judged to require liability insurance based on the nature of the activity).
- Complete and return both the Application for Use form and proof of liability insurance (Certificate of Liability Insurance) at least 3 weeks prior to the activity/event, but no more than 60 days in advance. Special circumstances may apply to Priority 2 requests that extend beyond 60 days which will be determined by the Assistant Director of Community Relations in coordination with the user and Community Education Specialist/Facility Scheduler.
- A copy of the Facility Use Agreement will be sent to the contact person for the group. Sign and return the agreement to Hudson Community Education/Services no later than 2 weeks prior to the event. An approved permit will be returned to you. Please carry this permit to your event or each activity. The permit is binding and may only be amended by Hudson Community Education/Services. A $5.00 service fee will apply to all amendments on a contract. No amendments will be made later than 5 business days prior to your event due to custodial and building supervision that may be hired to accommodate your request.
- A signed copy of the Certificate of Liability Insurance must also be filed prior to using district facilities. The Certificate of Liability Insurance must show that the applicant has procured a liability insurance policy naming the district as an additional insured and providing at least $2,000,000 of coverage per occurrence and at least $2,000,000 of coverage in the aggregate.
- Users of school facilities shall agree to indemnify the school district for any damage to school or other property by any person or persons attending the event/activity.
- A Certificate of Liability Insurance policy is required by the district.
- Applicants agree to assume full responsibility for injury or death of activity participants and damages to property that may occur in the facility they are using. The Community Education Specialist or designee is responsible for obtaining a signed permit/contract on which the user accepts responsibility for such liability.
- If a group brings in its own equipment, the district assumes no liability in connection with the use, loss, or damage of that equipment. Any equipment must be removed from site after rental is completed.
- According to law, all school buildings and grounds are tobacco and alcohol free.
- Weapons and firearms in any form are not allowed on school district property except for authorized instructional programs and/or law enforcement personnel.
- Flammable substances may not be used within school buildings.
- Users are required to collect and keep recyclable materials separate from other waste. Recycling containers are provided by the district.
- Authorization given for use of school facilities shall not be considered an endorsement or approval of the activity, group or organization nor the purpose they may represent.
- All activities must be supervised by an identified responsible adult with the group/organization using the facilities, assuming full responsibility for any damage or inappropriate behavior.
- School personnel on duty (custodians or building monitor) will supervise the operation of the facilities, but are not required to supervise the group or its activities.
- Meetings/activities must be confined to the areas reserved. For safety reasons, youth need to stay with the group and must be supervised at all times.
- Areas used should be left in an orderly condition. If additional hours are required for clean-up, an additional charge for personnel costs will be added tot he facility use fee.
- Report damage to facilities or equipment immediately to Community Education/Services Office.
- A district employed Auditorium Technician/Supervisor is required for all community auditorium facility use.
- A Red Cross Certified life guard (with certificate on file with the district) is required for every twenty-five (25) swimmers.
- A district employed Head Lifeguard/Pool Monitor is required for all multi-use and large event use activities.
- Organizations using kitchen facilities must have a district food service employee on duty to supervise food preparation and equipment use in conformance with St. Croix County Public Health Department standards.
- Outdoor activities may require district grounds staff to be in attendance.
- User groups must provide their own first aid supplies.
- When the Hudson School District is closed due to inclement weather or building emergencies, all facility use permits are canceled.
- The district subscribes to the principle that when a community group has a permit in hand it will be honored. Occasionally facility use permits for a scheduled event must be canceled to accommodate unforeseen school sponsored activities or emergency changes. All permits are revocable. If such a conflict occurs, every effort will be made to relocate the activity.
Hudson Community Education/Services has the responsibility for administering the Hudson Board of Education Facility Use Policy.
- Scheduling all district facilities (schools and fields) after school, evenings, weekend, and summers.
- Approving user groups.
- Communicating with building staff and community.
- Managing the revenue and expenses generated by facility use (Community Education/Services is supported by user fees and does not include tax dollars).