State of the Hudson Schools
Be Patient. Be Kind. Keep Others in Mind.
Our summer has been like no other. COVID-19 has forced us all to embrace the life skill of resilience. Hudson School District leadership, teachers, and staff have been working to develop a reopening plan and protocols for daily operations, instruction, student and staff support, and specialized programs and activities in a way that reduces the risks to our kids and staff. We know that any document or guidance created one week, may change the next. Our plan for reopening is fluid and will be responsive to new information from local and state public health agencies and the WI Department of Public Instruction.
Before drafting our reopening plan, School District administrators developed the following Guiding Principles and questions.
- We believe curricular, extracurricular, and co-curricular experiences are vitally important to the well-being of our kids.
- We believe that to educate the whole child; there is a need to have face-to-face interactions. Face-to-face interactions include considering the social-emotional, academic well-being, and physical and mental health needs of all kids.
- We believe that not providing opportunities for kids can be detrimental long-term.
- We believe it is our responsibility to mitigate risks associated with the spread COVID-19 and take that responsibility seriously. Still, we cannot guarantee a COVID-19 free environment.
Decisions were made through the lens of the following questions:
- What does our most recent local data tell us?
- What advice have we received from local health officials?
- What guidance is available from associations or agencies associated with this particular planning area?
- How well can we implement our mitigation procedures with this event or program (i.e., physical distancing, cleaning and disinfecting protocols)?
- What value does this activity or program provide for our kids?
- How effectively could we replace this activity or program with a virtual version?
- What have we learned from the feedback from our community members?
- What additional costs would the School District incur to mitigate risks for this activity or program?
I appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding as we work to provide the best possible educational opportunities for our kids while taking seriously the need to reduce the risks associated with COVID-19. I am proud of the thoughtful work our Hudson School District team committed to over the summer. The team created a comprehensive plan that serves the best interests of our students and staff.
We didn’t choose this path. Supporting each other and working together are our best strategies for successfully navigating wherever this path leads. I look forward to seeing kids back in our schools this fall.
Nick Ouellette, PhD