The National German Honor Society (NGHS), Delta Phi Alpha, seeks to recognize excellence in the study of German and to provide an incentive for higher scholarship. The Society aims to promote the study of the German language, literature and civilization, and endeavors to to emphasize those aspects of German life and culture which are of universal value and which contribute to humanity’s eternal search for peace and truth.
Eligibility – to become a member of NGHS, student must:
- be a junior or senior.
- be enrolled in an upper-level German class (German III or higher) their junior year and pass with a B or better.
- have good behavior record; an in- or out-of-school suspension and/or falsifying information about NGHS German hours are grounds for ineligibility.
- check the NGHS google classroom page regularly to stay on top of upcoming events. When planning an event, you and your group are financially responsible.
Seniors have the option of buying graduation cords which are $17 each (includes shipping and handling). If at any point you are facing financial difficulties, please talk to Frau Buckmaster!
Requirements for Induction:
Students who participate in NGHS, maintain eligibility, successfully complete five (5) German hours, and grade specific requirements, will be inducted to the Society. This will happen in the spring their junior and/or senior year at the induction ceremony.
- Senior Requirements – Plan one German Club event and go to at least 2 additional German Club meetings.
- Junior Requirements – Go to at least 3 German Club events.