Welcome to Willow River Parent Group
As a group, our focus is to help raise funds and help organize volunteers to support programs that directly benefit the students of our school. Our entire program is run by and with the help of our fabulous volunteers and there are many ways for you to volunteer and be active in the group. Volunteering is a great way to get familiar with our school, our programs, and one another.
Stay connected through our Facebook page @willowriverparentgroup and Remind App, text @wrpg19-20 to 81010.
During the 2019-2020 School Year:
Parent Group will be hosting two fundraisers:
- Boosterthon in November — The kick-off will be on November 12th with the Glow Run taking place on Nov. 22nd. Thank you to all staff that helped collect t-shirt sizes in preparation for the event. We are hopeful this event will be fun for the students, encourage fitness and health and benefit our school.
- The Read-A-Thon in February.
There will not be a Cherrydale Fundraiser this year.
Additional Parent Group Updates:
- Art Adventure is a go! Please consider volunteering in a classroom this year for Art Adventure: Let’s Celebrate Life. This program is a fun way to teach kids visual literacy and critical thinking skills. No art skills needed – you just need a few hours devoted to training at the Minneapolis Institute of Art (dates/times to be provided), and a few hours to spend in the classroom (you can work out the days/times with the teacher). The images are all digital now and will be provided as a PowerPoint to share in the classroom.
- Thanks to you, we exceeded our goal! The Willow River Parent Group would like to thank all families for the tremendous amount of support during this year’s Boosterthon Fun Run. We far exceeded our $12,000 goal, and we are able to put that money back in the school for supplies, field trip support, and playground equipment.
- Holiday Workshop on DEC. 18. The Willow River Parent Group is hosting its annual Holiday Workshop on Dec. 18 during lunch recess. We would really appreciate parent volunteers for each of the 3 crafts we have planned! Click here to sign up and help at this event.
- Staff Cookie Exchange on DEC. 18. The annual Cookie Exchange for Willow teachers and staff members will be held on Dec. 18. This event is a staff favorite and is greatly appreciated! Click here to sign up and bring your favorite holiday treat on a disposable tray.
- Prairie Fire Theatre is coming from January 27-31, more information to follow.
- Willow River Elementary Winger Event FEB 1: Our next Willow River Community Event is set for Saturday February 1st. It will be a Winter-Fun event at Burton Field. More information on this will be coming out in January.
Below is a list of the activities Parent Group is involved in:
All School Picnic/Carnival – This celebration happens at the closing of the school year. The picnic is held during student’s lunch break, followed by some outdoor activities (weather permitting). Typically this event includes carnival style treats and games. Ways to support this event can include manning a dunk tank, supplying snacks, or helping out at a tattoo station.
Art Adventure – A program through the Minneapolis Institute of Art, designed to teach kids visual literacy and critical thinking skills in a fun and energizing way. Contact Gretchen Witthuhn for more information.
Book Fair (Scholastic) – These book fairs are held during fall and spring conferences to allow students to select books with their parents. Teachers can also make “wish lists” for families to purchase books for a teacher’s classroom. At any time, you can place an order online at www.scholastic.com and select Willow River School and your child’s teacher, to earn credits for our school.
Camp St.Croix – An overnight field trip for all fifth graders to Camp St. Croix. Through this experience, students are provided opportunities to learn about the environment, build teamwork, enhance self-confidence and get hands-on experience with nature.
Field Trips – WRPG provides $10 per student for fields trips throughout the school year.
Fifth Grade Farewell – Organized by WRPG to commemorate achievements of 5th graders.
Music and Art Show – The Art Show is held in the spring and a great chance for kids to showcase their artistic skills through art projects and talent show.
Prairie Fire Theater – Prairie Fire Theater is a professional theater group based out of Baxter, MN. The group provides a director, scripts and costuming to support a student play. Casting for the production is on a Monday evening followed by nightly practice culminating in a live performance Friday during school for students to view, and in the evening for parents.
Read-a-Thon – Two weeks of fun-filled reading where minutes and books are tracked for prizes. There is also a fundraising component where students can get pledges for the minutes they read. Will your child get caught reading?!
Staff Appreciation/Parent Teacher Conferences – WRPG provides meals and snacks to show appreciation for our hardworking teachers and staff.
Teacher Requests – We support requests from teachers for educational materials, computer accessories, software, new supplies.
Young Authors Day – Young Author’s Day is an all-school event where students share books they have written in class, with mixed-grade small groups. WRPG provides a book for each student to take home.