Fall/Winter 2021 Driver’s Education Classes – In-Person & Online
Northwood Technical College will be providing the classroom and behind-the-wheel (BTW) for the Driver’s Education Program for Hudson School District. Your son/daughter must be 14 ½ years old before the class starts or turn 14 ½ years old during the class to be eligible for the classroom portion of Driver’s Ed. In-person class information is listed below. The cost of the 30-hour classroom is $115 per student. Preregistration and payment are required in order to save your child a spot in the class. Class size is limited, and classes fill quickly. Classes are held at the Hudson High School and currently scheduled to be in room J104. You will receive BTW information once your child has started the classroom portion. The current BTW fee is $250.
- Please Note: we hope to run the below classes but nothing is guaranteed at this time. If classes get cancelled before they start, anyone registered in the class will be notified via email about options. If schools close during the middle of a class, class will move to an online format and more information will be sent to you. We have included information regarding the online classes running this fall. These classes will run regardless if school closes due to the COVID-19 virus.
- Mondays & Thursdays (3:00-6:00pm) Class#64904
- Class dates: 9/13, 9/16, 9/20, 9/23, 9/27, 9/30, 10/4, 10/11, 10/21, 10/25, 2021
- One make-up session Thursday, October 28 (skip 10/7, 10/14, 10/18)
- Tuesdays & Thursdays (3:00-6:00pm) Class#64905
- Class dates: 11/9, 11/11, 11/16, 11/18, 11/30, 12/2, 12/7, 12/9, 12/14, 12/16, 2021
- One make-up session Tuesday, December 21 (skip Thanksgiving week)
- If you find none of the above class dates will work with your child’s schedule, Northwood Tech offers an online course.
If your child wishes to enroll in one of these classes, please complete the registration form and include the CLASS ID number for the session they wish to enroll in, and send it back with payment. Click here for a printable copy of the registration form.
Northwood Tech – Rice Lake
Attn Drivers Ed
1900 College Drive
Rice Lake, WI 54868
Please be sure you sign the parent/guardian permission on the registration form, so your child can take this class. Also, your child needs to complete and sign the Authorization to Release Student Record information form. Due to FERPA privacy laws, we need this form completed so we can legally speak with you about your student’s driver’s education classes. Without this completed form, we cannot discuss classes with you or report completion information to the DMV.
Class confirmation letters will be mailed approximately two weeks prior to the start of class. Please check the dates carefully to make sure your child will be able to attend ALL the dates of the class. It is a DMV mandatory requirement students complete the 30-hour classroom before applying for their permit. Students who miss one excused session are required to attend the make-up session. Students who miss two or more sessions will be dropped out of the class with no refund. If you would like to be sure Northwood Tech received your registration, please contact Sue or Tricia by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you have any questions, please contact Sue, Tricia, or me at email@example.com or 1-800-243-9482, extension 5777.
- Please Note—Northwood Tech adheres to high school policies regarding inclement weather. If school is closed or afterschool activities canceled due to inclement weather, driver’s education class or behind-the-wheel will also be canceled and a make-up session scheduled.**
Northwood Tech Online Class Information
- September 20 – October 31, 2012 Class#64326
- November 8 – December 19, 2021 Class#64329
Registration form and payment must be turned in at least one week before the start of the class. WITC needs time to create your child in our system and email you the login directions along with their newly created student ID number. Any forms received after the one week prior to deadline will be enrolled in the next available online class.
Below are a few things to note about the online class:
- Northwood Tech will need your child’s social security number – this will be used as part of their login to create a password.
- The email you provide on the registration form will be the one that will get the login information and also the one the instructor will use to communicate with your child about missing assignments or tests. In light of this information, you may feel it’s best to use a parent email so you can stay informed.
- Class runs for 6 weeks. Each week several units open and students have until the end of the week to complete the work within each assigned unit. At the end of the week, those units close and the next set will open. Students need to be self-motivated!
- There is no set time students have to be logged in. They just need to make sure they log in each week to complete the assigned modules. Weekly modules open on Mondays and close the following Sunday night.
- Students need to receive a 78% or higher to successfully pass this course and move on to the behind-the-wheel portion. After a student submits an assignment, they can go back anytime during the class to redo an assignment to improve their grade.
- We have also found our Blackboard system is not compatible with Internet Explorer. The best search engines to use are Firefox or Chrome.
- Knowledge tests and road signs test (permit tests) will be done at the DMV once students are 15 years old (and have received their permit application from Northwood Tech). The final exam students take during the online class is NOT the permit test.
- After students successfully complete the classroom portion, you will get a confirmation email and next steps for behind-the-wheel. The current BTW fee is $250.00.
If you are interested in registering your student for an online class, please complete the registration form and return to Northwood Tech with payment. Please make sure to include the class number and start date on the registration form of the class you wish to enroll your child in. Below are the following ways to contact Northwood Tech or to send back the registration information. Click here for a printable copy of the registration form.
Northwood Tech – Rice Lake
Attn: Driver’s Education
1900 College Drive
Rice Lake, WI 54868
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 715.234.7082; ext. 5777
Once your child’s registration form and paymnet is received, Northwood Tech will email you information about connecting to our online system – Blackboard.